Fire Extinguisher Inspection
Inspections focus on safety and performance. Performance checks need to be done by a licensed fire protection specialist. Certified inspections and re-certification are required for all businesses.
Thorough annual certified inspection are needed, for safety and equipment reliability. Safety checks include the following areas.
- Mechanical parts
- Extinguishing agent check
- Verify the cylinder pressure is safe.
- Monthly Inspections – The NFPA requires an inspection of your extinguisher every month. During this check a technician will visually inspect the unit, clean, check pull pin as well as provide documentation of the inspection.
- Annual Maintenance – An inspection of each of your extinguishers is often required by NFPA or the local AHJ. Depending on your jurisdiction and the type of unit the inspection may need to be performed by a licensed professional.
- Internal Maintenance and hydrostatic testing – Stored pressure ABC extinguishers are very common, and they often require internal maintenance every 6 years and hydrostatic testing every 12 years. Other types of extinguishers may vary in their internal examination and testing intervals.